Edwin J. Solomon

(1888 - 1936) married Christine Shumway, granddaughter of Elijah Averett

Written by Himself during the winter of 1926-27

I first saw the light of day January 25, 1888 in Taylor, Arizona, in a cabin that stood where W. C. Baldwin now lives. I have been told that when I was born my life as well as my mothers almost ended. Had it not been for faith and the power of the priesthood, we could not have been saved. Before I was born, Brother Lorenzo Hatch promised my mother that she would have a son that she could be proud of. He also told her that he would be an instrument in the hands of the Lord in doing much good, and that he would help carry the gospel to the world.

My parents were from good old English stock. Grandfather and Grandmother Solomon came from England after having accepted the gospel in the year 1861. They were pioneers in southern Utah and were among the first settlers of Taylor, Navajo County, Arizona. My motherís people were the Knights of early church history. My grandmother Knight was a Judd and belonged to the family who traces their history to the peers of England. Father was a farmer and did much to help build up this country and redeem it from a barren desert.

Mother died when I was about 3 years old, leaving two babies, myself and brother Bill who was two years younger than myself. I can remember a few incidents that occurred on the day of her death which must have impressed me very much, as I was very young. I remember an incident connected with her, which occurred before she died. Soon after motherís death, Father went on a mission to England. Grandmother Solomon was the only mother that I ever really knew and she was all that a mother could be to Bill and I.

When Father came home from his mission he married again. From then on us boys were with him on the ranch part of the time. For a few winters we went to school in Taylor and lived with Grandma Solomon, and later we went to school at Shumway. I would say here that the teaching and training and early impressions that Grandpa and Grandma gave me have been a help to me. They were the dearest persons in the world and their lives and teachings will always be an inspiration to me. After Father came from his mission and married, he built or developed a little bunch of cows and kept them on the ranch. That was when us boys got our just lessons on the range. In June 1901 he sold the cattle. On the 28th of September of the same year he bought 500 ewe lambs from James M. Flake. On January 6, 1902 I commenced herding the lambs. On that same day school started at Shumway. It only lasted three months. From this time on I was with the sheep all the time except for a few short school terms until I went on my mission.

On the 25th of August 1907, I received a call to go on a mission to the southern states. I was assigned at Chattanooga to labor in the Kentucky conference, but was soon transferred to the east Kentucky conference. I labored there until I was released in March 1910. After arriving home I went almost immediately went to work with the sheep. I stayed with them until after I was married. In May 1910, I was chosen to be second counselor in the bishopric in Taylor. During Christmas time this same year Christy and I renewed an old courtship which proved to be very serious. On the evening of the 13th of February 1911, I asked her to be my wife. On the following evening, she accepted. This was the greatest event that had yet come into my life. On April 5, 1911, we were married in the Salt Lake Temple. The summer after we were married we lived at the ranch in Black Canyon in a Mexican style hut with a dirt roof and dirt floor. We did not get to enjoy it long. One day the heavy dirt roof and timber mashed the house and ruined nearly everything we had. We lived under a cedar the rest of the summer.

In the fall I moved my wife to Taylor. We rented two rooms while I spent my time with cattle and sheep. In the summer of 1912 I bought a lot and house in Taylor. In August, Christy and I came down with typhoid fever. We were both sick in the same room and cared for by two nurses. By good nursing we came through okay. On the 9th of April 1919 I left for Chattanooga, Tenn. to fill another six months mission. I was assigned to the East Kentucky conference. While I was gone, Christy ran Rhotons hotel at Lakeside.

I returned home on 9 October 1919 at the expiration of the lease on my place, just in time to take it over on October 10, 1919. This time we stayed on the ranch, made butter, raised chickens and garden and sold our produce to McNary once a week.

In June 1927, I was chosen to be stake Sunday school New Testament Class Supervisor, which took lots of study, work and expense. This calling took me to every ward in the stake, which gave much inspiration and education.

Edwin died June 25, 1936, in Winslow, Arizona.