Son of Jennet Maria Averett and Wilson Glenn Shumway
By Jess and Kent Shumway, sons of Clarence
(In the book of The Charles Shumway Family 1806-1979)
Clarence Shumway was born on June 20th, 1881 in a dirt dugout with a leaky, dirt roof, in the town called as Concho, Arizona. While a small child he moved with his parents and family to Spring Town, now known as Shumway, Arizona. He grew to manhood in Shumway.
He married Esther Smith of Snowflake, Arizona on 13 June 1906, in the Salt Lake Temple. They set up housekeeping in his Fatherís old home in Shumway. Clarence tried his hand at farming and homesteading at his Fatherís home. They moved to Snowflake in 1910. Conditions were more favorable there. After 3 years of living there he was called the "top farmer" in the town.
In 1915 he was called to serve a mission for the Church in the Eastern States. He disposed of his crops and livestock, and left his wife with three small children to care for to answer the Lordís call to serve.
Clarence returned to his family in December 1917. Then in 1920 he took an appointment with the Forest Service as a Forest Ranger. They moved to Lakeside, Arizona where he served as a Ranger for 11 years. In 1930 he was transferred to the Pinedale District. In Pinedale the winters were less severe, the living conditions better, and the opportunities to serve his church and community less restricted. While in Pinedale his children began to go on missions and to get married.
After only four years in Pindale he was transferred to Clifton, Arizona. Clifton was a small mining town in Easter Arizona. This was a dramatic change for Clarence and Esther, and a far cry from their lifelong friends and family in Northern Arizona. In a sense it was a mission call, because there was no church organization there. To keep their children in contact with the church and to partake of its blessings, they traveled 35 miles to the town of Franklin and back each Sunday. This continued until a small Branch was organized in 1939. Clarence was called to be the Branch President in the Branch.
He retired from the Forest Service in March 1943 and returned to Snowflake. Finding the climate a little severe after the mild winters in Clifton, they moved to Mesa, Arizona in the fall of 1944. He had previously purchased a building lot near the Arizona Temple. On the lot he purchased he built a home on East 2nd Avenue, where he and his bride would have convenient access to the Holy Edifice. At the Arizona Temple they filled their calling as ordained Temple workers. They continued this service for 16 years until 5 March 1961. Clarence passed away suddenly with a heart ailment with which he had been afflicted for some six years.
As a child he took interest in the things his parents liked him to do. As a farmer he took pride in straight furrows and said, "there were no weeds in any irrigation ditches." As a neighbor he was respected for his honesty and integrity. As a husband and Patriarch, he was loved and revered by both his own and those who came to his family by marriage. His thoughtful advice and quiet example will be remembered by those who knew "Clad" Shumway.
THE FOLLOWING HISTORY IS WRITTEN BY KENT SHUMWAY, HIS SON.
Clarence Shumway was the third son born to Wilson Glenn and Janet Maria Averett Shumway. He was born in the town of Erastus, today known as Concho, Apache County, Arizona, on the 20th day of June 1881, in a dugout in the side of a hill.
At a very early age, Clarence and his family moved to the town of Shumway, Arizona. Shumway is where Clarence grew to manhood. Clarence was an average boy. He grew up with the average boyís curiosities, and roaming the hills and mesas of the surrounding country. Although only a boy, his mother often mentioned how good he was to her. He helped her with work that he was asked to do. He was very mindful of his motherís welfare.
While still very young, it was necessary for him to go away from home to work. He worked for the Flake family as a farm boy and a sort of cowboy. He later went to Flagstaff and worked in the woods for the sawmill company. He tried his bit as a bridge gang worker for the railroad, but was discharged when he said, "Yes, I am a Mormon." To top it off, he helped build the Fred Harvey Hotel, in El Tovar, at the Grand Canyon. It was on this job that he earned enough money to go to Salt Lake City and take the girl of his dreams, Esther Smith, to the Temple. They were married for time and all eternity on June 13, 1906.
Clarence brought his bride back to Arizona to build their first home together. They went to Shumway to live, where Clarence tried his hand at farming. While living there, their first child, Fern, came to bless their home. She was born in Grandmotherís home at Snowflake. In 1909 another daughter named Janet was born. They were not allowed to keep her long. She returned to her heavenly home two months after her arrival. Meanwhile, Clarence and Esther moved to Snowflake to live, where their first son named Kent was born.
By this time Clarence had become a full-fledged farmer. He took pride in plowing his furrows straight and keeping the weeds from his crops. The third year he farmed in Snowflake. He was the "Top Farmer." He used to say, "When I farmed there were no weeds on my irrigation ditches." Clarence, a living example to his children, always taught them to give a full days work for a days pay.
Clarence worked hard farming and freighting to provide for his growing family, which now included another son, Quince. Answering the call of the church, in 1915 he bade farewell to loved ones and traveled to the Eastern States to fill a mission. While there, he labored in Vermont and Pennsylvania. He served as Conference President in Pittsburgh. In 1917 he returned home to his little family. His dear wife had so bravely provided for herself and three youngsters for more than two years he was away.
Clarence tried again to farm, but somehow he couldnít quite bet back the old feeling for the soil, so he took a job working for the Forest Service in Heber, Arizona. When Beula, the third daughter was born, there was great rejoicing! They now had two boys and two girls in their home.
In 1920 Clarence accepted an appointment as a Forest Ranger on the Lakeside District. During the next 11 years, life as a Forest Ranger had many ups and downs; mostly ups. Four more boys were born. First Jeddy Grant, a gracious gift from God to be received, but only to be given back. Then, two years later Richard Wilson was born. Then Ardeth was born. Then Phillip C. was born in 1926. Not content with less than ten, Jess Fred, the tithing baby was born in 1929. By this time, their cup was running over. Clarence and Esther turned their time and talents to rearing their large family.
During these years Clarence lived in harmony with the Church. He held positions in the ward as a teacher, Sunday School Superintendent, and counselor in the Bishopric. It was his love for the Church that persuaded him to purchase the property in Mesa. He retired in Mesa after almost a quarter-century of service in the forests. They built a home in Mesa to live and work in the temple in their declining years.
From Lakeside, Clarence was transferred to Pinedale, then later on to Clifton. At first there was no church organization at Clifton. So, Clarence drove with his family the 35 miles to Franklin, the closest organized Church unit. They were able to attend Sunday School, Priesthood, and Sacrament Meeting. A few years later Clarence was instrumental in organizing a Branch of the Church in Clifton. He and Esther gave of their love and talents, not only for their own family, but also for their neighbors and friends as well. Clarence was Branch President in Clifton during 1939 and through 1940.
In 1943 he retired from the Forest Service. Then, they left Clifton to make their home in Snowflake. While in Snowflake, Clarence served in the presidency of the High Priestsí Quorum as Counselor to Ashael Smith. A year later they moved to Mesa, where he built his home.
The greatest joy of his life was the period he lived at this home and worked in the temple. Clarence and Esther were set apart as Temple Workers in March 1945. They continued to hold this high and holy calling for sixteen years. This was the twilight of their lives. Their temple work has always first consideration, and consistent with their life-long belief. They gave this calling their best effort.
Clarence lived a full life. He commanded the respect and love of all his associates. He has truly been loved and revered by his family. The love and respect his children had for him is shown by their seeking his advice and counsel, long after they were grown up and in homes of their own. Even his son-in-laws and daughter-in-laws went to him for wisdom and fatherly advice.
Clarence was not a quitter, as was exemplified in the last days and hours of his life. He always attended to his Church duties. He went to Sunday School and Priesthood meeting every Sunday morning. He passed away that afternoon as he entered the Good Samaritan Hospital for treatment of a heart aliment, with which he had been afflicted the last six years of his life.
Like the truly great men of the world, Clarence was humble and unassuming. He did not flaunt his greatness, his opinions, or his thoughts before the world. His honesty and integrity were absolute.