Christine Shumway Solomon Walser

(1887-) Granddaughter of Elijah Averett

Daughter of Jennet Maria Averett and Wilson Glen Shumway

I, Christine Shumway Solomon Walser, am a pioneer of the state of Arizona. I lived in Shumway where I attended grade school. My schooling was not very satisfactory, since we had a one teacher school and sometimes for only three months and never more than six. Because we were very poor, mother boarded the teacher so I could continue my schooling.

I respect my parents because of the principles they taught me. They taught me honesty, not only to our fellowmen but also to God.

I attended high school at Snowflake. Back in my hometown, Shumway, in 1910, I was made president of the Mutual, a very important day in my life. At Christmas time, Edwin Solomon, just home from his mission and a counselor in the Bishopric, became my boyfriend. On Valentines Day he asked me to marry him. We made our plans to be married at the time of the April Conference. I secured a Sears Summer Sales Catalog and sent for my wedding dress material. It was all of 4 &1/2 cents per yard, but I was happy with it. Edwin said he would get a suit for me when we got to Salt Lake City. Iíll never forget that suit. We were forced to borrow money in order to get home after we bought it.

We were married 5 April 1911, by Anton H. Lund, in the Salt Lake Temple. For a time we lived in a cabin on Black Canyon. It was a place used for lambing. It was simply four big logs at the corners and smaller ones on the sides. On the roof the logs were covered with brush and dirt. We added a leanto in which we put our stove and table.

In December 1913, we moved to Mesa, Arizona. In September 1915, we bought a team and wagon. We then loaded all our worldly goods and moved back to Taylor, Arizona. In 1916, we bought the old Solomon ranch and lived there till 1930.

Ted went on a mission in 1919. I kept busy running the Rholon Hotel at Lakeside. When he came home, we moved back to the ranch. Then, on our wedding anniversary we drove down to Shumway. It was there that Brother and Sister Whipple told us that we could take Alma to raise. At this time Alma was seven months old.

In 1931, my turn to go on a mission came. I was called to the California Mission. The headquarters were in Los Angeles. Long Beach was where I was first sent. I also spent time in Sacramento, San Francisco, and other surrounding towns. When my mission was complete, Ted and Alma picked me up and brought me home. Then, in the fall of 1935, we made a trip to Utah for the conference. It was the best trip we had ever had together. It also was the last trip, for Ted died 27 June 1936. It seemed for a while that my life was over, but time has a way of healing. Then in 1938, I went to Salt Lake to look for a place to buy. Thus, a new life was begun.

The place I had bought was an apartment house with 18 units. The place was rather old and very dirty. It took five months of hard work to get it into shape. At the end of 4 1/2 years I sold it. Then, I bought a place at 49 South and 12th East, but couldnít get material to make it into apartments because of the war. So, I sold it and bought a court on 2nd South and 12th East.

I filled a stake mission in Snowflake Stake, and later another one in Ensign Stake. In 1946, I filled another mission in Northern California.

In the fall of 1951, a new man came into my life, William Walser. William and I were married 23 October 1952, in the Mesa temple. We left Mesa the next day and headed for Dublan, Mexico. From Mexico, we came back to Mesa, and later back to Salt Lake. After Williams and I retired I began doing genealogical research. I started with one or two days per week. It was not long before I was at it five days a week, as well as hiring some one to help me. I didnít trust myself to do the work right. I had hired a number of genealogists over the years to research on my motherís line of the Averettís. My second great grandfather Aaron Averett was illusive. Finally I gave up. Nothing could be proved out. Then in 1972, I asked a woman who worked along side of me at the genealogical society, if she would make one last try for my Averett line. She spent several months working in Virginia. I thought that Virginia was the place where my line must have come from. The woman I hired to help me asked me if she could change course and go to North Carolina. North Carolina was where so many Virginians of the 1700ís came from. Her search paid off, but we still need more work done in the early and mid-1600ís in order to get our first two generations of the line. We think we have them but need better proof we feel.

Now, I want to tell anyone who reads this book, and to every descendent of Grandfather John Averett, that when he heard the message the Lord had spoken again from heaven, and opened his heart to it. My heartfelt thanks go to my grandfather for his wisdom in believing what was presented to him of the restored gospel.

I am now past 85 years of age and the Lord is willing, Iíll live to see this book published. I am living in Salt Lake City and will probably be there until I am called beyond this life.

Writing this book has been a big undertaking for one of my age, but Sylvia Gatton has seen me through the setting up of this book, the securing of typists and publisher and all of the many other problems that go to making up a book of this size. It was also her research that brought my Averett line to the state it is now in. Sylvia will continue the research and will see to the publishing of the bulletins, which are planned.