(1833-1915) Son of Abel and Almira Lamb

Written by Harriet Jane Lamb Stradling

The fifth son of Abel and Almira was born in Avon, Livingston, New York, on the 27th of June, 1833—the year the familyjoined the Church. He was named in honor or the man who was to become the modern "Moses." He led his people fromoppression into the wilderness and on to their Promised Land beside the great salt sea of the West.

Brigham Young Lamb, as a child, suffered the persecution of the Saints as they were driven from state to state and from city to city. He crossed the great plains with his parents. He, like his brother, learned the cooper’s trade and worked with his father in Lamb’s Canyon, near Salt Lake City. They produced tubs, churns, buckets, and wash boards, as well as barrels. They lived at a beautiful home site, but the first few years were years of great scarcity. Brigham well remembered the pigweed, beet greens, and sego roots on which they survived.

Eventually the Lambs built a sawmill near the head of the canyon. An excellent road was made into the canyon—a toll road, for use of which each team was charged a twenty-five cent fee. Jannette B. Gibson Malin, a pioneer of 1860, records that she used to accompany her grandmother to the mouth of Lamb’s Canyon. Her grandmother collected the toll at the gate there during the 1860’s and 1870’s. She also cooked for the men employed at the sawmill. At times, large herds of wild cattle and other wild animals were to be seen in the vicinity of the lake near the sawmill. It was here in Lamb’s Canyon that Brigham’s younger brother, William, was accidently shot at the age of eighteen.

As a young man, Brigham Lamb was a body-guard to President Brigham Young and he was also called on a mission to the Indians. During this time, he began to keep a journal, recording the places he traveled on his Lamanite mission:

MAY, 1855:

21st—Great Salt Lake City. I started my mission to the Indians with Bishop David Evans, traveled to Dry Creek in Utah. 22nd—to Hobble Creek; 23rd—to Will ow Creek; 24th—to Round Valley; 25th—to Fillmore and remained there the 26th and 27th.

28th—I started in company with David Evans to White Mountains, traveling west until 7:00 p.m. and camped. The main company traveled south with wagons until they struck the Beaver, and traveled north within 30 miles of Filmore. 29th—we traveled west 20 miles and nooned at Clear Lake. Water not very good. Traveled 20 miles and camped at the Sevier.

30th—traveled 30 miles. Crossed two mountains and camped at Antelope Spring in the mountains. Traveled 20 miles. Crossed the summit and went over into Cave Canyon. Followed down the mouth 5 miles into a white sandy valley. Crossed the valley and several small bluffs into Greenwood Valley and camped at the warm springs.

JUNE, 1855:

1st—traveled 12 miles and camped at Snipe Creek. 2nd and 3rd—at Mountain Spring; 4th and 5th—at Meadow Creek; 6th—I started east with Brother Ray, E. G. Williams, and George Nebeker with our Indian guide for the White Mountains. Traveled 20 miles and camped at Black Pool. Bad water. 7th—traveled 40 miles over mountains and through canyons and valleys. No water. Arrived at Antelope Spring. We stayed there through 8th. Here the rest of the company arrived, and we started for Fillmore the 9th. Traveled 30 miles and camped at the Sevier. Remained here the 11th. Traveled 40 miles to Fillmore and stayed the 12th and 13th.

14th—camped 7 miles south of Fillmore until the 20th. Camped at Cinder Spring on the Beaver 21st. Traveled to Missionary Springs west of Fillmore and nooned, traveled to Cedar Spring. Arrived in Great Salt Lake City, July 3, 1855. Remained there until September 13th.


Thursday, 13th—I started for the Elk Mountain. Traveled 4 miles and camped on Mill Creek until the 17th, when I traveled to the point of the mountain. 18th—traveled to Dry Creek; 19th—to Provo; 20th—Slough Bridge; 22nd—traveled to Round Spring south of Summit Creek.

23rd—traveled to the spring 4 miles north of Salt Creek. 24th—traveled to Checken Creek; started across to Sevier and traveled up the river 10 miles. Symon Woods and myself started for Fillmore to get provisions that we left when we returned from the White Mountains. Traveled to Round Valley. Arrived at Fillmore the 26th. Went back to Round Valley the 27th.

29th—from Round Valley to Sevier Bridge and up the river 10 miles and overtook the company. 29th—15 miles up the river, and 15 miles up the river on the 30th.

OCTOBER, 1855:

South Salt Creek. 2nd—news came to us in the night at 1:00 by one of the Indians that three men (Mormons) were killed on Elk Mountain, so the company returned home, starting back to the Sevier. 3rd—traveled to Sanpitch Creek. The company stayed and sent C.P. Miles and myself with an express to Brigham Young to learn what we should do. Returned on the 9th with orders to return home. Arrived in Great Salt Lake City on the 16th.

JANUARY, 1856:

28th—I started for Beaver, traveling north to Weber, 25 miles north of Great Salt Lake City. 29th—Box Elder. 30th—traveled to Beaver River. 31st—started back and traveled to Box Elder.


1st—traveled to Fort Bingham and to Great Salt Lake City.

MARCH, 1856:

18th—Saturday. I hired to Garland Hunt to go south to farm. 19th—started and traveled to Lehi City. 29th—traveled to Springville and remained until 21st. 22nd—traveled to Spanish Fork and commenced to labor.

APRIL, 1856:

1st—Spanish Indian Farm.

MAY, 1856:

11th—I wrote a letter to my father. 17th—I wrote to E.R. Lamb.

JUNE ,1856:

Spanish Fork. 1st—(part of the journal is illegible at this point.)

In the Endowment House on August 25, 1856, Brigham married Mary Foster Hardy, sister to the wife of his brother, Edwin. A brief sketch of her life, by Edith Duffin Hance follows:

Mary Foster Hardy, daughter of Samuel Bradford Hardy and Caroline Bacon Rogers, was born March 1, 1831, in Bradford, Massachussetts. Her first eighteen years were spent there in the house in which she was born. She was well provided for in her girlhood days.

The Hardy family was converted by Wilford Woodruff while he was laboring in the New England Mission. They opened their home to the missionaries and also used it as a place in which to hold meetings.

In 1850 Mary and her parents and brothers and sisters—Augustus P., Samuel Prescott, Elizabeth Williams, Lorine Osgood, and Caroline Matilda Hardy—left their comfortable home and started for Utah. They left behind an aged grandmother, uncles, aunts, and friends. They traveled in Wilford Woodruff’s Company by train and steamboat until they reached St. Louis, Missouri. There they bought a wagon and oxen and started across the plains with the rest of the company.

During the journey, Mary’s mother became very ill and they feared for her life. Through faith and prayers, she was spared. Little sister, Caroline, was taken ill and died, being buried in a lonely grave on the great plains. It was a sad time for the family. Little brother, Augustus, was so heart-broken that he had to be carried from the grave, and he lay in a stretcher for three weeks.

In spite of all the hardships, the family reached Salt Lake City in September of 1850. Their first home was a large tent pitched at the Mint on North Temple Street, then known as Brigham Street. Mary was a dressmaker and employed this skill to help the family until her marriage to Brigham Young Lamb in 1856. She was a devoted wife and loving mother, representing a very fine type of womanhood. The later years of her life were spent in Toquerville, where she labored in the various organizations of the Church. She was President of the Relief Society for many years. On October 28, 1912, she passed away at the age of 81.

The thread of Brigham Lamb’s journal is picked up again in 1857, but the happenings to which he refers are much better understood if viewed in the background of the history of that year. Stirring events are well-reviewed in the extracts given below from an editorial by William B. Smart in the Deseret News a century later:

The measure of a people, it has been said, is taken by the load they are called upon to bear…Think back to how it was a hundred years ago. A year to remember. A year when the Mormon Pioneers had been in the Salt Lake Valley ten years. It was a year when peace and happiness and even the beginnings of prosperity lay over the valleys, and when Mormon colonizing of the Western Empire was proceeding steadily.

It was also a year, however, when falsehoods were being sent to Washington about the Mormon people by unworthy and self-seeking men. It was a year when word came, and was generally believed, that the government, without provocation, was sending the flower of the United States Army to invade Utah. To destroy its people and occupy their homes.

The year of the Utah War (and of) the fabled 24th of July celebration in Big Cottonwood Canyon was when word was brought of the marching of Johnston’s Army…the order sent to officers of the Nauvoo Legion telling them to prepare to meet the invasion…the letter written the following summer by the wife of Utah’s new governor, just after she had been peaceably escorted into Salt Lake City by Johnston’s Army, giving her impressions of the city and its people.

Between that July 24, 1857, when the war started on Jun 8, 1858. Mrs. Cummings arriving in the city with the army is packed one of the most amazing chapters of Church history.

It includes an official order issued by Brigham Young to the United States Army to stay out of the territory.

It includes his statement to an official of that army that, "When those troops arrive they will find Utah a desert. Every house will be burned to the ground, every tree cut down, every field left waste." This declaration was backed by solemn vote of the people to do exactly that if necessary.

It includes a phantom war in which both sides were under orders to do no shooting. Only a dozen or so shots were fired in a skirmish in which no one was hurt.

It includes the feats of the redoubtable Lot Smith and 40 men who, without firing a shot, burned 74 government supply wagons with their cargo and drove off 1,000 government cattle. Included in the cargo burned were 2,720 pounds of ham, 92,700 pounds of bacon, 167,000 pounds of flour, 8,910 pounds of coffee, 13,333 pounds of soap, 68,832 rations of "dessicated" vegetables, and many other items.

It includes the bitter hardships suffered by an Army forced to spend the winter in an emergency camp near Fort Bridger, a camp from which they emerged with less than a third enough animals to draw their wagons.

It includes, thanks to the good offices of Colonel Thomas L. Kan, a "peace" settlement in which the Army was to be held at arm’s length, with absolutely no social contact with the people of Utah.

It includes the Army’s bizarre march through a dead city, the residents all having left and boarded up their houses. It includes their march on out into desolate Cedar Valley west of Utah Lake where they established Camp Floyd and where the Army lay in idle uselessness (except for the prospecting activities of some of the soldiers) until the beginning of the Civil War in 1861.

It includes the expenditure of some $40 million by the government on this expedition and the commitment of nearly half the affective fighting strength of the U.S. Army in an expedition that was unnecessary to begin with and a failure to the end.

Brigham Lamb’s journal becomes readable again in the middle of a sentence written in May, 1857:

…and of the prophecies of Joseph Smith and said they would come to pass.

13th—I attended a teachers meeting. L.W. Hardy told the teachers that he wanted us all, when we were visiting the different blocks, to tell the brethren that he wanted them to put something into the Carrying Company to help make stations on the plains and help gather the saints from foreign lands. He also said we must not leave off our teaching.

14th—The weather was cold. It was snowing in the morning.

17th—Sunday. I attended meeting at the Bowery. Discourse by E.D. Wooley.

20th—I attended priesthood meeting at the schoolhouse. I.G. Hardy spoke (to the ward teachers) to teach the saints to put something into the Carrying Company, or otherwise we would see the time when we wished that we had a finger in the pie.

24th—Sunday. I’m about home. I attended a meeting with Mary at the school house in the evening. Brother Joseph Robinson taught us to live our religion.

25th—Monday. I went teaching in the evening, after working on the road half a day. I requested the brethren to put their surplus property into the Carrying Company, by advice of Bishop Hardy.

Sunday, 31st—I attended a meeting at the Bowery. Brigham Young gave a history of his journey with the First Presidency. George A. Smith gave an account of his mission to Washington. I attended a meeting in the evening with Mary.

Monday—I went to rehearsal at the social hall for "Flora’s Festival." Tuesday. I went to teach the brethren and sisters on Block $10. I found them trying to live near the Lord.

Wednesday, 3rd, and Saturday evenings—I attended "Flora’s Festival." Saturday and Monday I attended meetings at the school house. Bishop Hardy was absent on a mission south for a few days. Josiah Hardy presided.

June 1, 1857—about home. Sunday, 14th—I attended a meeting at the Bowery. Brothers Hawkins and Ferguson read some letters and papers from the East concerning the Mormons, their ways and customs, and their laws. We see that the devil is at work as busy as he can be, stirring up the Gentiles against the Saints in the Stakes of Deseret. He is not satisfied unless he can persecute and destroy us from off the face of the earth. The saints are trying to live their religion and serve the Lord.

I attended a meeting at the school house. I.H. Hardy said he was glad to meet with the saints in the Twelfth Ward again, after being absent for a few days on a trip south to get cattle to pay a debt for the Church. He said the brethren there were willing to let him have the stock they gave, and if that were not enough, they would give some more. Brother Hardy said their trust was in the kingdom of God.

Monday 15th—I went with Brother F. Cahoon on Block #2. We found the saints in good spirits and trying to live their religion. Attended priesthood meeting in the evening at the school house. Brother Hardy wanted the teachers to teach good principles, and practice what they taught. He had no fault to find with any of the brethren.

Thurs., 23rd—I went teaching with Brother Cahoon. The mail arrived from the States bringing news of the death of Parley P. Pratt in Arkansas; he had been shot by McLean. The Nauvoo Legion was ordered out on parade on Friday.

June 26, 1857—I went teaching on Block #2 with Joseph Taylor. I trained on horseback in the forenoon in Company A, Battalion of Life Guards, and on foot in the afternoon, by order of D.H. Wells. There were orders to meet again on the 4th of July.

28th—At home. 30th—In the evening I went teaching the brethren in Block #2.

July 1st—At home. I attended priesthood meeting in the evening and reported a general good spirit prevailing among the saints.

Thursday—At home. It was raining in the forenoon; this was a good thing, for it was needed for crops.

July 4th— We celebrated by firing of guns and ringing of bells. The Nauvoo Legion put on a parade. The music was by the bands. I attended a dancing party in the evening with Mary at her father. Sunday, 5th—I’m about home. 6th—I went teaching with William Cahoon.

Sunday, 19th—About home. I received a ticket to attend a picnic party at the lake in Big Cottonwood Canyon on the twenty-fourth of July. It was the tenth anniversary of the day that the pioneers entered the valley of the Great Salt Lake.

Friday 24th—I did not attend the party on account of Mary’s health, but remained in the city. (Thousands went to celebrate in Big Cottonwood Canyon, and it was at this celebration that Porter Rockwell came riding in from a trip back East, to report to Brigham Young that the United States Army was on its way to destroy the people of Utah.) The Eastern mail coach arrived without mail on the night of the 23rd, stating that the Postmaster would not trust the mail in the hands of the Mormons.

Since the lives of the members of Brigham Lamb’s family were affected by the events of the Utah War, it is of interest to insert the following at this point:


Headquarter, Nauvoo Legion August 1, 1857

SIR: Reports, tolerably well authenticated, have reached this office that an army from the Eastern States is now enroute to invade this territory.

The people of this territory have lived in strict obedience to the laws of the parent and home governments, and are ever zealous for the supremacy of the Constitution and the rights guaranteed thereby…

You are instructed to hold you command in readiness to march at the shortest possible notice to any part of the territory. See that the law is stricly enforced in regards to arms and ammunition, and as far as is practicable that each Ten be provided with a good wagon and four horses or mules, as well as the necessary clothing, etc., for a winter campaign. Particularly let your influence by used for the preservation of the grain. Avoid all excitement but be ready.

DANIEL H. WELLS Lieutenant-General Commanding.

August 1st, Saturday—I was on parade in Company A., Battalion of Life-Guards. The Company formed a hollow square and asked the Lord to bless us. William Kimble said he wanted the Company to arm themselves and be ready in a moment’s notice, with horses and one baggage wagon to every ten persons. In evening attended quorum meeting. Brother Cummings instructed us to live near the Lord.

Sunday, 2nd—About home. 8th—On parade to learn to drill and to know what the Company could do.

9th—Brother John Taylor gave an account of his mission to New York. He said the devil was raging in the States. He said that Thomas B. Marsh was coming here after being an apostate for 15 years, and that Brother Marsh said that some were sliding back. If they wanted to see the effect of apostacy, to look at him.

13th—In camp. It is rainy. The first Company ordered out to the new troops on the Sweetwater. Saturday, 15th—Brigham Abel Hardy Lamb, my son, was born at 6:00 and three minutes, in Great Salt Lake City, Territory.

Sunday. I attended meeting at the Tabernacle. Daniel H. Wells said that we should not speculate on our property just because the brethren wanted us (the Legion) to go on the road. 28th—I attended a meeting at the Tabernacle. Orson Hyde spoke on the Word of Wisdom. Brigham Young spoke of the fitting out of the young men for standing in the army. He said they were taking too much with them, and that they would have all they could do to take care of what they would have to have, without taking anything unnecessary.

February 15th, 1858. I purchased a home and lot in Twelfth Ward and moved into the house. March 14th—I attended a meeting. Sunday, about home. Thurs., 18th—I attended prayer meeting at the school house. The Bishop impressed upon the people to make boxes and put up some flour. He also said that if there was anything taught that we could not understand, we had a right to call upon the Lord for a testimony. If we lived right we would get it.

Mar. 19th—It snowed all day. 21st—I attended a meeting at the Tabernacle. Brigham Young said that he was going to send some of his family into the (illegible)…at the White Mountains, and if anyone wanted to go they would be welcome. Said he would set the pattern and let them go if they would.

When the Church Presidency advised the evacuation of Salt Lake City, Brigham Lamb and his brother moved their families temporarily to American Fork. They then returned to assist those who had no transportation. After this they took their own families on to Springville and built a lumber shanty for them to camp in there. Meanwhile, negotiations went on between the people of Utah Territory and the new governor.

The following picture and excerpts from an article which appeared in the Deseret News are used in this family record with the kind permission of the Deseret News Publishing Company, Salt Lake City, Utah. "The letter was written to her sister-in-law by Elizabeth Wells Randall Cumming, granddaughter of Samuel Adams and wife of the new governor, Alfred Cumming, who accompanied the Johnston Army to Utah. It describes her entrance into the city on June 8, 1858, and her impressions of it and its leaders."

I was not prepared for the death-like stillness which existed. It was a large, beautiful city. The houses were all separate, each with its garden-wide streets and a pebbly stream running on each side. This city was capable of containing twenty thousand inhabitants as level as Augusta, Georgia. The houses were mostly about two stories high, built of adobes, which are like bricks in shape and size, but a gray stone color instead of red. The gardens were full of lowers and vegetables and promise of fruit. But the doors of all houses were closed. There was not a window to be seen, only boards instead. There was not a carriage or wagon or mule or horse or man to be seen.

By and by, Dr. Forney (who had preceded us) came up to my carriage, which was in advance. He got in and told Dundie to drive to Staines’s (could this be William C. Staines, first territorial librarian and later Church emigration agent?—Ed.) house which had been left all ready for us. It was at this house that Col. Kane and Alfred had remained when here before.

I wish I had a picture of it for you, for it is very pretty. It stands about 130 feet back from the street, flowers, etc. In front there were peach and other small trees on each side of the house extending to the street. There was a large garden behind it and on each side. The house was built like an English cottage. There was a piazza in front, with flat open work pillars, for vines, and a piazza above all the first, with heavy carved work all around it, ornamented windows etc.

I went into the large parlour. There was a really magnificent and monstrous piano. It was London make and had eight octaves. It was sent for my use by Heber C. Kimball. There were some handsome chairs sent for my use by Brigham Young. Some furniture, carpets, etc. were sent by other church dignitaries. In a china closet, near a large dining room, were cups and saucers and other table furniture, tablecloths. Everything had been thought of for me to use, so that I need not be obliged to unpack, till matters were farther (sic) settled. Mr. Staines’s wives were in Provo, and were to continue there. He may rent us his house, and is ready to do so if he does not burn it. If there is any trouble when the army enters, the whole city is to be burned. The houses are now all emptied but this and an eating house—a little one at the other extremity of the city.

In the afternoon several of the magnates of the church called. They had (about twenty of the leading men) come in from Provo City. They had gone by the Canon road to meet us and escort us to our home. But we had taken the other road, so missed them. They were full of politeness. With one of them, in especial, I was very much pleased—Wm. Kimball, Heber Kimball’s eldest son.

General West and Col. Ferguson, then Mr. Cummings, and another apostle called. Nearly all those of rank in the church have been missionaries in various parts of Europe—Paris, London, Stockholm, Copenhagen, are their frequent places of visiting, and their manners are polished. The conversation of these gentlemen is very varied and interesting…

The picture below was taken on October 29, 1858, by Savages and Ottengers. It was taken from the diary of John T. Gerber, father of Annie M. Gerber Anderson, and copies by her. It is with her consent that this picture appears in this record.

Geber notes in his diary that "Johnston’s Army passed through Salt Lake City, Saturday, May 26, 10:00 a.m. He passed Globe Eating House, the Large Collam (sic) passed Counsel House. The passing lasted eight hours. Five thousand men, seven thousand mules, three thousand horses, about seven thousand wagons, and about thirty pieces of artillery were included. A number of the officers dined at the Globe Eating House from time to time.

July 1st--the U.S. Army now moved twelve miles southwest of Jordan, on Bingham Creek." Gerber was a guard in Salt Lake City.

President Young called the saints to return to their deserted homes. The Lambs were among the first to obey.

July 1st—1858—At home in Springville. 6th—Mary started back to Great Salt Lake City with E.R. and Elizabeth Lamb. I remained in Springville one week. I started for the place; arrived in two days, finding my own son, Brigham, very ill. He continued to fail. Wed, the 21st, he died at 8:30 of inflammation of the brain; age 11 month, 5 days.

Sunday, Aug 1st—I’m about home in Salt Lake City. We have no meetings. We have to live by the faith we have within ourselves. We have no preaching and we see no prophets. The First Presidency stay at home on account of their enemies.

Sept. 1st—About home. Our city is full of Gentiles; drinking, swearing, and shooting each other, while the Saints are attending to their own business. As a general thing we have no meetings.

Oct. 1st—About home. On the night of the 12th, Brother Cook, while guarding some prisoners, was shot through the thigh by three men who came to reclaim the prisoners. Brother Cook died a few days later.

January 1, 1859—About home in the Twelfth Ward all day. I went to circus with Mary in the evening. Jan. 2nd—the Saints met in the Tabernacle to worship the Lord—the first time since we returned to our homes.

20th—I attended the Bishop’s meeting. Sunday 23rd—I attended a meeting at the Tabernacle with Mary. Orson Pratt lectured on the doctrines of the Book of Mormon. Feb 1st—About home in Salt Lake City. March 1st—About home. Mar. 2nd—I visited Father with Mary, by request of Father. All his children and grandchildren were gathered together to celebrate his birthday.

10th—I’m at work in my shop as usual. 11th—I attended a funeral at L.W. Hardy’s on the death of his son, Edward Hardy. The sermon was by Woodruff E. Hunter and A.O. Vincot; Prayer by W. Woodruff.

Mar 22, 1859—We are to be ready to protect ourselves against our enemies if they try to molest us. Attended a meeting. A little memorial was read, which we signed and sent to Governor Cummings, to remove the troops from Provo. About the 20th, Howard Spencer and Colbert Cliff had gone to Rush Valley to get some cattle that belonged to L. Spencer. They stopped at T. Spencer’s in Rush Valley to stay overnight, when twelve men of the U.S. Troops came and ordered them on. On their refusing to go, the Sargeant struck Howard over the head with his gun and broke his skull, and ordered Cliff to leave or they would serve him the same. Cliff came to the City and reported. A carriage was sent and brought Howard home. Howard continued to gain health until he was well.

April 1st, 1859—About home. May 20th—One Company of Dragoons passed through the city for Fort Hall to quell the Indians. April 30th—I moved my family to Snider Mill in Parley’s Canyon.

May 25—Mary Adeline was born at 7:50 Wed. morning. June 27th—I was at work at Snider’s Park and sawed shingles and lath. Jun 28th—I was at Father’s with Mary and her sister, sitting in front of the house, when Ezra T. Benson came along and said, "I will make a prophecy and you may take these women for witnesses, you may write it down. The man that lays up his wheat and flour lays up treasures in Heaven, and will have more influence on earth with his flour than with gold. I would not sell my flour for a dollar a pound. It will be worth more than all the gold in California.

As nearly as the facts can be reconstructed, Brigham worked for a time at a sawmill in hardscrabble Canyon in company with George Monroe and the Horace Lamb branch of the family. Brigham built a home, made a sawmill with an up-and-down saw, and manufactured and sold enough lumber to buy a steam-operated sawmill. Then he moved south in answer to President Young’s request. He and his brother, Edwin, were asked to make barrels for the molasses to be produced by the settlers in "Dixie."

The Indians looked upon these early comers to the new town of Virgin as a good source for plunder. It as necessary for Brigham to take his turn, along with others, at keeping guards on duty twenty-four hours a day at the community corral. Every effort was made by the Indians to steal the stock. Both Brigham and Edwin served for many months in the Indian War in this area.

Extreme hardships were endured by the families of Virgin. Many babies and children died the first few years from malnutrition, as well as the effects of bad water. Time after time heavy rains and floods washed out the dams which had been so laboriously built to bring irrigation water up onto the farm land. In order to provide food for their families until crops could be grown, Brigham and Edwin resorted to many ingenious things: making lye by soaking cottonwood ashes in barrels of water for a few days and selling it to people in the soap from bacon rinds and other left-over grease. They also formed a minstrel show and traveled about entertaining in various communities, asking farm produce as pay.

Making the most of opportunities for education, Brigham often walked from Virgin to Toquerville to attend the School of the Prophets, of which he was a member. He was humble and faithful—a prayerful man, obedient to the calls of community and church, and to the counsel of the authorities. With his brother he produced shingles and lath for Southern Utah at the Forsythe Mill, and was among the workers who labored to rear the St. George Temple, which was built under almost incredible circumstances. For such a handful of people, struggling to establish homes in this bare wilderness, to erect such a magnificent building was indeed an accomplishment of valiant sacrifice and a labor of love.

Brigham Lamb lived to be eighty-two years of age and passed away on December 19, 1915.